Feb 2, 2008

Secure File Transfer (SFTP) and Remote Access using (SSH)

I've used 3 different ones in the past, with different success. All there are full SSH servers, meaning you get SFTP, SCP, Secure remote console (like Telnet) and secure TCP/IP for port tunnelling. I user it to securely connect to my machines and run VNC for remote control. It's the fastest and most secure way I've found to do remote control of my machines.

My favorite is WinSSHD from BitVise. A personal license will run you $39.95, but it's well worth it. It's the easiest to set up and maintain. Rock solid.
*UPDATE* WinSSHd v5.x is now free for personal use!

Next is FreeSSHd. As the name implies, it's free! I've used it on computers that I only need to connect to occationally. It's a harder to understand and configure. I've also had problems where it would stop working and only a reboot would fix.

Last is CygWin. It's a DLL and set of programs that basically turn your Windows system into Linux. If you're a *nix person, this may be the way to go. I found it difficult to set up and configure the SSH server in CygWin, but once I got it running everything worked fine. Oh, it's free!

No comments: